* If you live in MD/VA/DC and are interested in ONLINE THERAPY GROUPS for teen and adult adoptees, email firstname.lastname@example.org with interest! Groups will be forming in February 2016; please check back for dates based on interest. (If you live outside Maryland or Virginia, email me and perhaps I can connect you with someone in your state.)
OR see below for FREE adoptive and foster blog.
Prior to specializing as an adoption and attachment therapist, I was an adoption placement social worker, long term orphanage volunteer in Eastern Europe, adoptive sister and host parent. This background knowledge gives me a unique empathy for both adoptive parents and the children who experienced institutional life, foster care or a relational trauma prior to joining their new family.
I am happy to provide therapy for INFANTS, TODDLERS, CHILDREN, TEEN AND ADULT adoptees.
Typical issues addressed in adoption adjustment therapy:
- Attachment and trust issues
- Child abuse
- Grief and loss
- Lying or manipulative behaviors
- Sleeping difficulties
Techniques Utilized for Children and Families:
- Trust-Based Relational Interventions (TBRI/Purvis)
- Theraplay/Dyadic Developmental Psychology- parent(s) and child will engage in attachment-promoting activities together during sessions
- Play and Art Therapy- therapeutic games, artistic expressions, role playing and skill-building activities in order to address areas of concerns
Techniques Utilized for Adult Adoptees:
Therapy is available with the help of specialized curriculum, to address topics such as difficulty maintaining relationships, anger/sadness/fear and identity.
Not ready for individual therapy, groups or webinars? Sign up with 25+ other families to receive my FREE blog articles on adoptive and foster parenting!